Every year from Thanksgiving to the New Year, the average American gains weight; anywhere from one to five pounds depending on the study. This is largely because of overeating, overindulging in alcoholic beverages, and less physical activity. Add in the stress of planning or attending several holiday parties, gift shopping, and traveling out of town or hosting guests in your home and it’s a recipe for fat gain. Exercise has been proven to help relieve stress and encourage fat loss, so get moving!
Get Moving During the Holidays
Don’t wait until January 1. Start now. Here’s how:
- Go for a walk. Even a short walk will help clear your head and give you an energy boost. Outside is better than indoors and out in nature is best, but anything is better than nothing.
- Bonus points for adding in stairs or hills.
- Body weight exercise circuit. Here are a few to choose from if you aren’t sure what to do.
- The best bang for your buck if you’re already fit is a short HIIT workout. High intesity intervals for 15-20 minutes and you’re done.
- Play an active game or do yoga with your kids.
- Sneak in a few exercises at work (and get paid to work out). Here are some ideas based on the type of work you do.
- Try a new outdoor sport or activity with your family. Skiing, skating, sledding, snow shoeing, hiking are just a few options.
- Dance. By yourself or with a partner. Right in your living room. Now.
- Bonus points for singing while you dance.
- Build a snowman.
- Bonus points for making snow angels.
- Jump rope. If you don’t have a rope, do jumping jacks instead.
- Lift weights. Bands and tubing can serve as effective resistance training tools, too!
Don’t be fooled into thinking you don’t have time. You’ll make time if you want to be fit and healthy.
So Get Moving now and get a jump on the New Year!
As always, feel free to contact me if you need help getting started on a healthier lifestyle through physical fitness 🙂