As a professional Personal Trainer who specializes in special populations, corrective exercise, and orthopedic post rehab, I have been offering personal training for older adults in the Minneapolis area since 1997. While this is not the only population I work with, it has become a bigger part of my client base over the last 6-8 years. This is probably for several different reasons, but the most common seem to be:
- the Baby Boomer generation is reaching retirement age and they want to keep moving like they did when they were 20 years old.
- the average life expectancy has increased significantly over the last few decades and people want to maintain a good quality of life ’til the very end.
- the average cost of assisted living is in the neighborhood of $5000/month. (That’s not a typo). In comparison, hiring a Personal Trainer to help maintain the strength, flexibility, and balance that allows folks to remain living independently seems relatively inexpensive.
What Kind of Exercise Does An Older Adult Need?
It depends on the individual. Age is just a number. I have active 80-somethings who can function better than some sedentary 40-somethings. Some of my 60-70 year-olds are still training to run long distance races, while others can’t get themselves up off the floor after a fall. So, if you train with me, you will go through the same process as everyone else:
- First we do an assessment to determine what your specific goals and challenges are. The fitness assessment protocols will depend on your current ability, but may include some standardized tests designed specifically for those aged 60 and over. For fit people in that age group, we may just do a more mainstream assessment. The whole purpose of the assessment is to determine what you NEED to improve the most in order to achieve your goals, no matter how old you are. We look at balance, posture, flexibility, strength, etc. We may need to modify certain tests to accommodate special circumstances, such as joint replacements, low vision or hearing, or cognitive difficulties.
- Once we’ve done the assessment, I’ll design an exercise program based on those results so that you can achieve your goals safely, efficiently, and effectively.
- I will show you how to do each exercise and make sure that you are doing it properly.
- Most people see me for strength and balance training, while doing aerobic activity such as walking, swimming, or biking on their own.
- As you continue to improve, your program will get more progressive until you reach a maintenance stage.
Do I Have To Go To A Gym?
You have the option of having me come to your home (limited area), or you can come to a private 12,000 square foot fully equipped facility located in Eden Prairie. Either way, you don’t have to pay additional gym fees.
Do I Need To Buy Special Equipment?
Usually not, but it depends on what exercises you need to do to reach your goal and whether you have access to a fitness center or will be working out at home. Many exercises can be done using just body weight or inexpensive elastic bands or tubing. We can discuss that in more detail once we’ve done the assessment and I have a better idea of where you’re starting from. For in-home clients, I bring some equipment to your home when I come for your session.
How Often Do I Need To Meet With A Personal Trainer?
My most successful senior fitness clients see me twice per week. You will need to do strength training a MINIMUM of twice per week to see any benefit at all, whether you are with me or doing it on your own. The advantage of seeing me that frequently ensures that you are doing each exercise correctly and I can modify or progress you as needed right on the spot. This is especially important for people with cognitive challenges, low vision, or movement impairments. Less frequent supervision may be appropriate for some individuals who have experience with strength exercise, can demonstrate that they know how to do the exercises correctly and when to modify, and are motivated enough to do the exercises regularly. To be effective, you will still need to meet with me periodically so that we can progress your program as necessary. I do not sell packages or require contracts, so you can start or stop any time.
How Do I Get Started?
Just one step – Call Me Today!
There is no obligation for a FREE phone consultation and you can learn more about how I can help you achieve your health and fitness goals!
Want to get FREE monthly fitness and nutrition tips delivered directly to your inbox? Access to early bird discounts and opportunities before the general public? Join for FREE now!