Get Fit For Adventure Travel
If you’re close to retirement age or already there, you’re probably planning a lot of trips. For some, that might mean driving to play with the grandkids, flying to New York to see a play, or relaxing on a beach.
But for a growing number of people over 50, 60 and 70, it means light adventure trips – where you participate in exciting physical activities that can be challenging but don’t reach the extreme level of, say, helicopter skiing or climbing Mount Everest.
Countless mature adults are exploring ideas like these:
- Kayak tours, diving, and white-water rafting.
- Safari trips to Africa, birding the Galapagos Islands, or even more exotic locations.
- Cycling on multi-day journeys.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail in the Southeast United States; the Superior Hiking Trail in northeast Minnesota, the Camino de Santiago in Spain; or exploring along the Great Wall of China.
- Snow skiing and snowboarding.
- Rock climbing, canyoneering, and mountaineering.
- Walking tours of major cities and attractions anywhere in the world.
And you don’t have to go far to enjoy these activities! There are plenty of things to do right here in the Twin Cities and surrounding area, either as an activity by itself or as a means to prepare for bigger adventures elsewhere.
Statistics show Baby Boomers make about five pleasure trips a year and spend more money than other age groups on leisure travel. For many, it’s time to attack their bucket list of destinations.
Are You Fit Enough to Enjoy Your Trip?
Do you have the muscular endurance, aerobic capacity and functional strength to do the activities that you want to do, in the environment that you want to do them?
For example, walking on smooth asphalt paths at sea level is very different than trekking over boulder fields at high elevation. Walking for an hour a day when the weather is nice is very different than walking several hours a day, for several days in a row, in whatever weather you happen to be in at your destination. This is especially true if the conditions are very different from where you’ll be coming from (ie winter in Minnesota to a hot and humid travel destination).
If you are properly trained prior to your trip, you are better prepared to take part in vacation activities as well as reduce your risk for injury or getting sore muscles. You’ll have the energy to explore, engage, and experience more of your travel destination. You’ll have a better chance of being able to do more things, rather than sit on the sidelines because you don’t feel confident in your physical ability to participate in some activities.
Typical Travel Tasks
In addition to the fun stuff once you get to where you’re going, there are typical travel tasks that you’ll need to be able to do. You’ll need to have the functional fitness to be able to:
- Make it to the plane gate on time (sometimes in a hurry)
- Lift carry-on luggage into and out of the overhead compartment
- Walk up and down uneven stairs and ancient steps
- Be able to carry souvenirs purchased
- Be able to walk up and down hills, sometimes for several hours or many days in a row
- Keep up with a tour group
- Carry your own luggage when needed
- Maintain balance while taking photos or navigating uneven terrain
- Be able to climb stairs, turrets, towers, etc. Sometimes without handrails or in poor lighting.
I Can Help You Get Fit For Adventure Travel
Come share your travel plans with me and I’ll make sure you’re ready to have the time of your life. Particularly after 50, we’ve got to stay fit so we’re ready for the opportunities of this kind of travel. This can include strength training, endurance training, or improving balance so that you can confidently navigate uneven terrain when walking or hiking.
I can help you build your strength, particularly in your legs, core and back, develop your stamina, and keep you agile and limber.
You’ll need all of that for visiting those grandkids even more!
Give me a call today at 612.804.9496 to discuss your adventure travel plans and how I can help you get ready for the trip of a lifetime!